The First Million - Did Marvel Get Monetization Right with Snap?

Ariel Ariel
Oct. 28

This is a single insight from This Week in Apps #137 - Mixed Signals. Check out the full article for more insights.


Marvel recently launched Snap, a card battler with your favorite MCU characters. Many like Snap's simpler approach to building a deck and shorter games, which make it much more accessible to more casual players.

But many also praise Snap for its balanced monetization, which is unlike many recent game launches.

Can an approach that's loved by players also earn money?

Yes. It sure can!

According to our estimates, Snap has earned $1.4M of net (about $2M gross) revenue from the App Store and Google Play since launching on the 18th.

The majority of the revenue came from the App Store, but Google Play is picking up speed. That's a great sign for a game. By Tuesday, Google Play was responsible for about a third of new revenue, roughly $101K of net revenue vs. $198K from the App Store.

The US contributed 61% of the total with the remaining 39% coming from many other countries led by Japan and South Korea.

With ads becoming more expensive it's important to keep every possible download and turn every casual user into a returning one, a monetization strategy that doesn't force users to pay right away is a very smart approach.

I hope to see more game developers, big and small, realize that.

App Intelligence for Everyone!

The insights in this report come right out of our App Intelligence platform, which offers access to download and revenue estimates, installed SDKs, and more! Learn more about the tools or schedule a demo with our team to get started.

Are you a Journalist? You can get access to our app and market intelligence for free through the Appfigures for Journalists program. Contact us for more details.

All figures included in this report are estimated. Unless specified otherwise, estimated revenue is always net, meaning it's the amount the developer earned after Apple and Google took their fee.

Tagged: #games

Related Resources

The World Cup is Peak Streaming for Sports! Where are They watching?
Insights
The World Cup is Peak Streaming for Sports! Where are They watching?

The World Cup kicked off last weekend to lots of controversy and a weird schedule, but none of that stopped many from ...

Move Aside Mastodon, there's a New Twitter Replacer in Town
Insights
Move Aside Mastodon, there's a New Twitter Replacer in Town

Leaving Twitter is all the rage these days. My entire timeline is full of people saying goodbye to the platform they'r...