Which Countries Publish the Most Mobile Games?

Ariel Ariel
7/28/23

This is a single insight from This Week in Apps - Growing Fast. Check out the full article for more insights.


I analyzed all of the mobile games on the App Store and Google Play to answer a simple question - which countries publish the most mobile games?

The US is probably everyone's guess, and it is, but it's not the only one. Let's find out where else games come from.

First, there are 746K mobile games on the App Store and Google Play right now. 70% of mobile games are on Google Play and the remaining 30% are on the App Store.

This difference is a testament to Apple's rigorous review process that rejects a lot of clones and low-quality games that Google Play doesn't.

US-based publishers lead the list with 33% of all the games on the App Store and Google Play right now. Not only is the US in the lead but it's also the only country with a double-digit share.

China comes in second with a 5% share. Most games published by Chinese companies target the Chinese market, but some have a global appeal. Genshin Impact is one of those.

Japan, Germany, and Russia round out the top 5 countries with the most games in the App Store and Google Play.

Together, the top 5 countries own 48% of all mobile games across both stores.

Curious how fast games are rolling out? In June, the App Store and Google Play welcomed 17K new games, the highest number of new releases per month so far this year.

4.4K of those came from US publishers with the remaining 13K apps coming in from publishers worldwide led by Germany with 440 new games.

We've seen a lot of viral successes over the last couple of years, but most (if not all) were apps and not games. Then we see games like Monopoly Go and you realize the opportunity to succeed with a mobile game is still there and bigger than ever.

App Intelligence for Everyone!

The insights in this report come right out of our App Intelligence platform, which offers access to download and revenue estimates, installed SDKs, and more! Learn more about the tools or schedule a demo with our team to get started.

Are you a Journalist? You can get access to our app and market intelligence for free through the Appfigures for Journalists program. Contact us for more details.

All figures included in this report are estimated. Unless specified otherwise, estimated revenue is always net, meaning it's the amount the developer earned after Apple and Google took their fee.

Tagged: #business

Related Resources

X's Mobile Revenue Continues to Drop for 3rd Consecutive Month - Longest Ever Decline
Insights
X's Mobile Revenue Continues to Drop for 3rd Consecutive Month - Longest Ever Decline

X's mobile revenue has been on a very weird trend in the last few months. And by weird I really mean negative. It's weir...

This is The Most Important Trend Every App Developer Must Know About
Insights
This is The Most Important Trend Every App Developer Must Know About

A few weeks ago I gave the opening talk at the App Promotion Summit in NYC and being the keynote I wanted to summarize w...