Planet Fitness Hit Its Peak, Now Comes the Cooldown

Ariel Ariel
7/22/22

This is a single insight from This Week in Apps #123 - But Will They Pay?. Check out the full article for more insights.


When the summer started, gym franchise Planet Fitness skyrocketed to the top of the App Store after offering access to teens for free for the summer by downloading the app. A campaign I thought was very clever at the time (and still do).

The early results of this campaign were amazing! We're about mid-way through the campaign, and I'm curious how the app is doing right now.

Planet Fitness estimated downloads by Appfigures

According to our estimates, the campaign has earned Planet Fitness a total of 6.5 million downloads across the App Store and Google Play so far. The App Store was responsible for about 90% of those downloads, with Google Play making up the remaining 10%. Not really surprising.

Looking at the trend, it's easy to see the ride is pretty much over at this point. Downloads, which hit 1.2 million on launch week, have declined to around 400,000 last week. About a third.

With about a month remaining to this campaign, I expect one of two things to happen. Either Planet Fitness will let downloads drop and accept that the fun's done. Or, they'll make a focused push when there's exactly a month to go.

They've done a great job so far, so I expect the latter, in which case, we could see downloads jump back into the millions.

This is a good reminder that it's so important to analyze drops throughout any campaign. It could be fatigue, it could be an overall market trend, but it could just mean that you need to push.

App Intelligence for Everyone!

The insights in this report come right out of our App Intelligence platform, which offers access to download and revenue estimates, installed SDKs, and more! Learn more about the tools or schedule a demo with our team to get started.

Are you a Journalist? You can get access to our app and market intelligence for free through the Appfigures for Journalists program. Contact us for more details.

All figures included in this report are estimated. Unless specified otherwise, estimated revenue is always net, meaning it's the amount the developer earned after Apple and Google took their fee.


Related Resources

X's Mobile Revenue Continues to Drop for 3rd Consecutive Month - Longest Ever Decline
Insights
X's Mobile Revenue Continues to Drop for 3rd Consecutive Month - Longest Ever Decline

X's mobile revenue has been on a very weird trend in the last few months. And by weird I really mean negative. It's weir...

This is The Most Important Trend Every App Developer Must Know About
Insights
This is The Most Important Trend Every App Developer Must Know About

A few weeks ago I gave the opening talk at the App Promotion Summit in NYC and being the keynote I wanted to summarize w...